In celebration of the School's 125th birthday, three anonymous donors issued a simple, yet ambitious, challenge: secure 1,000 gifts in 125 hours to earn a $125,000 matching gift for the School. In true Hotchkiss form, we accomplished that goal with time to spare. Inspired by the momentum of the original Challenge, another anonymous donor promised to contribute $12,500 if 100 more people made a gift in the five hours that remained. We met that goal as well, and in all of the excitement, we exceeded the 1,100 donors needed to lock in the two matches by over 300 donors.
Class and Parent Agent outreach before and during the Challenge was instrumental in making this effort a success. Their enthusiastic promotion helped to produce fantastic results for Hotchkiss.
Thank you to everyone who participated by making a gift, hosting or attending a Toast to 125 event, volunteering to encourage others to give, or drafting an email, letter, Facebook post or tweet about the Challenge. This generous outpouring of support from the Hotchkiss family is a remarkable symbol of our wonderful, worldwide community.Cheers to our founder, Maria Bissell Hotchkiss, and to 125 years of Hotchkiss!
More Challenge Stats
- Nine alumni Classes achieved at least 25% participation: 1943, 1951, 1956, 1957, 1960, 1966, 1970, 1984 & 1989.
- Six alumni Classes had at least 25 Donors: 1966, 1984, 1987, 1989, 2007 & 2016.
- Fifty-two Donors won a pair of student-designed and student-produced Hotchkiss socks, given to every 25th Donor.
- The top five Funds supported (in terms of number of Donors) were:
- The Hotchkiss Fund
- Walter J. Crain Jr. P'86,'89 Scholarship
- Senior Class Gift Fund
- Class of 2017 Senior Parents Gift-EFX Lab
- Julia Wu Trethaway FUNd