We look forward to welcoming you to Lakeville during the opening days of the 2017-18 School year. As you prepare your arrival, below are important links and information.
- Getting Ready for the School Year -- helpful tips and links regarding what to bring, what to wear, and where to buy supplies.
- 2017-18 Academic Calendar
- 2017-18 Almanac -- Please note, we are not printing the book this year. Link to the Almanac to read and download your copy.
- Dress Code reminder: The revised Dress Code begins on page 45 of the Almanac.
- For Students: Log in to see the detailed Opening Days Schedule for Students.
- For Parents: View recently posted recordings of "Parenting from a Distance" and other earlier webcasts for new parents (login required).
WHEN TO ARRIVE
As a reminder, please check in Friday, September 1, between noon and 3 p.m. at the Forrest E. Mars Athletic Center (MAC) (note new location!). Greeters will be posted by the building entrance ready to check you in, provide your dormitory assignment, and give you guidance. The GPS address for the MAC is 22 Lime Rock Road, Lakeville, CT 06039.
After you check in, please proceed to your dorm, where students will be available to help you unload and bring bags to your room. Please limit your unloading time to 15 minutes to help us manage traffic.
After unloading and parking your car, please come to the Main Building, where student orientation leaders will help you. There will be sign-ups for various services, laptop pick-up, lunch in the dining hall, and supplies in the campus store.
Noon - 3 p.m.: An admission officer will be available to answer financial aid questions in the Admissions Office (Harris House, Second Floor) or via phone at ext. 3110 (a campus phone will be available in the Deans' Office for calls).
Noon - 4:30 p.m.: The Welcome Center will be opening serving coffee and refreshments for new students and families in the Student Center (Main Building, First Floor).
3 - 4:15 p.m.: Advisors available for drop-in meetings with new students and parents (check bulletin boards for locations).
3:30 - 4:00 p.m.: College advisors will be available to meet with parents of new seniors in the College Office (Harris House, First Floor).
4:15 - 4:30 p.m.: Students and families will say their farewells.
4:30 p.m.: Head of School Craig Bradley will welcome new parents in Elfers Hall. Orientation will begin for new students in the Chapel (Main Building, First Floor West).
Unless listed below, all returning students should return on Sunday, September 3, from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. to their dorm. All returning students will be notified of dorm assignments via email shortly PRIOR to their scheduled arrival times. Please check your email for further instructions.
Early arrivals are scheduled for:
Proctors: Tuesday, August 29, between noon - 10 p.m. Leadership training begins Wednesday, August 30.
Orientation leaders and international mentors: Thursday, August 31, between 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Varsity athletes (by invitation): Saturday, September 2, 8 a.m. - noon
WHERE TO BUY SUPPLIES
- The Campus Store, located downstairs in the east wing of the Main Building, carries many products for your convenience, including Hotchkiss spirit wear, embellished memorabilia and souvenirs, as well as general merchandise such as stationery, greeting cards, writing instruments, art supplies, health and beauty products, required calculators, dorm accessories, energy bars, snacks, drinks, and more. This is also where you will be able to pick up the books you ordered from MBS.
- The Athletic Store, located on the first floor of the Mars Athletic Center, carries embellished Hotchkiss and Bearcat sport apparel, equipment, and supplies.
- Cash, debit cards, personal checks, or credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, or American Express) may be used for purchases in both stores.
- LaBonne's Market in Salisbury offers groceries. Turn left out of the Main Gates, turn left on Rt. 41 at the flashing red light, and follow Rt. 41/44 into Salisbury. LaBonne's is at 22 Academy Street, off Rt. 41/44 in the center of town.
- There is the Millerton Market (grocery store) and a CVS (drug store) in Millerton, New York, roughly five miles from campus. Millerton also has a hardware store, several restaurants, a bookstore, a movie theatre, hair salons, and Saperstein's, a clothing store. To get to Millerton, take a right out of the Main Gates. At the second stop sign, take a left onto Route 44 West, which will take you into the center of Millerton.
- Target, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Wal-Mart, Kmart, BJ's Wholesale Club (bulk food), and Staples (school and office supplies) are located in Torrington, CT, about forty minutes southeast of Lakeville. Click here and scroll down the page to "Local Shopping for Supplies and Necessities" to find general directions to Torrington as well as street addresses and phone numbers for the stores.
SALISBURY BANK AND TRUST
Here is information regarding the school checking program sponsored by our local bank. Through this program, you can issue and student debit card that can be used in many locations on campus, as well as anywhere off campus where MasterCard is accepted. Students may also use it to withdraw money with no fee at our on-campus ATM. Representatives will be on campus on Friday, September 1 from noon - 3 p.m. to provide new students and parents the opportunity to enroll in person.
Please call the main switchboard at (860) 435-2591 and ask for the Deans' Office. Students should look for more information via email.
Enjoy the remaining days of summer!