Residential Teaching Fellow Job Description & Application Process
June 19 - July 22, 2013 (dates for Residential Fellows)
June 23 - July 21, 2013
(dates for students)
Hotchkiss Summer Portals recruits middle and high-school aged students from all over the globe to spend three-weeks in Northwest CT engaging in a variety of educational experiences including Environmental Science, Chamber Music, and English and Theater. Not only do Resident Teaching Fellows assist in the classroom, they are also responsible for the physical and emotional well-being of Portals’ students during their summer at Hotchkiss: at meals, during the afternoon activity period, and in the dorms. Resident Teaching Fellows work intimately with veteran faculty and visiting artists and combine academic and residential life responsibilities with outdoor leadership, course development, or musical performances.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in course development and classroom experiences.
- Provide support, advisement, and guidance to students in the dormitory.
- Lead afternoon group activities as designed by the Activities Director.
- Be present in the dining hall at all meals.
- Participate in leading outdoor adventures including fieldwork, hikes, caving, canoeing, and overnight camping.
- Monitor evening study hall.
- Responsible for checking students into their dorms at night.
- Write Advisor Comments upon completion of Summer Portals.
- Priority will be given to candidates who have graduated from university, but exceptional undergraduates will be considered.
- Previous experience serving and leading students (camp counselor, R.A., etc.).
- Not required but an added bonus:
- WSI, Lifeguard Certificate, or First Aid (CPR/AED).
- Fluency in a language other than English.
- Active desire to serve students and to participate fully in the life of a vibrant educational community.
- Must be compassionate, respectful, gregarious, responsible, adaptable, and possess both a sense of humor and excellent communication skills
Hotchkiss is a smoke-free campus.
Applicants will be considered when the following is received:
- Completed application (PDF) or online application
- Essay describing interest and experience related to working with adolescents
- Two (2) Letters of reference and contact information
- Unofficial transcript
Completed applications received prior to January 31, 2013 will have a
distinct advantage. After applications have been considered, candidates will be
contacted for a phone interview by the Director of Admission and Residential Life.
Offers of employment are made until staffing is complete. Final decisions on
employment are subject to a mandatory background check by the Hotchkiss Human
Resources Office. The Dean of Summer Programs extends the offer of a contract position
as a Residential Fellow. A signed copy of that offer must be returned within two weeks.