The Bowen Library Fund was established by friends and colleagues to honor Anne and Jerry Bowen at the time of their retirement in 1989 after a combined total of 70 years at The Hotchkiss School. Specifically designated for the growth of the reference collection, the fund recognizes Mr. and Mrs. Bowen’s special ties to the Ford Library: Anne served as a library staff member for 20 years, while Jerry, Class of 1942 and an instructor in English from 1953 to 1989, served as chair of the Library Committee during many years of the planning phase for the new facility. After their retirement, the couple continued to serve the library as co-chairs of the Friends of the Library. Upon Jerry’s death in 1991 after a valiant struggle with cancer, scores of friends, classmates, and former students contributed additional funds to this endowment as a memorial to John Gerard Bowen and his love of learning.
Beverly Hoffman served as assistant director of the Edsel Ford Library from 1985 until her death in 1998. Her interest in reading and learning was an inspiration to her friends and colleagues, and a model for students. Contributions from friends, family, and alumni helped to establish this library fund, which supports the purchase of materials of special interest to the adult community at Hotchkiss.
Established informally by Frederick Andrew Brimberg ’75 in 1981, this fund was formally endowed in 1987 to underwrite the purchase of materials in the area of economics, personal finance, and the stock market.
A centennial pledge from Robert V. Chartener ’76 established this fund in 1995. Income from the British Studies Fund is used to purchase resources in any subject related to the United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland.
This fund was established in memory of Ensign Edwin Nash Broyles Jr., Class of 1945, who served as a jet pilot in the U.S. Navy during the Korean Conflict. His plane went missing on a strike over North Korea on July 26, 1953. The income is to be spent on materials about the Korean War or World War II, but may also be used for special materials about aviation.
In October of 2003, Erik Stapper, Class of 1953, established this fund in memory of his brother Charles, Class of 1952. Income from the fund is used for the acquisition of materials pertaining to the area of fine arts.
The Class of 1976 Library Fund was originally established as a Senior Class Gift in 1976. Members of the class contributed significant additional funding as part of their 25th Reunion Gift in June 2001 and at subsequent reunions. In 2022, the class amended the naming of the fund to honor Walter E. DeMelle P’94 H’76. The Class of 1976 Library Fund represents the first endowed fund established by a Hotchkiss class in order to support the development of the resources of the Edsel Ford Library.
In 1998, John Tuten '62 established the Classical Studies Fund to enhance the resources of the library in classical and medieval studies, through the purchase of books, videos, and digital information sources.
Originally an outright gift from Mr. Germain Hubby '27 and Mrs. Hubby in memory of David D. Lapham, Class of 1953, for the purchase of books on sport, the fund was added to by Mr. Lapham's classmates. In 1957-58, it was decided to designate income from this fund for purchase of materials on natural history and allied fields.
David Salisbury Bowen, the son of John G. ’42 and Anne Bowen, died in 1979 in a bicycling accident. His parents established this fund in his memory, the proceeds of which are used to purchase books of special interest to young people.
In 1992, on the occasion of Mr. Frank’s 60th birthday, his wife, Mary C. Tanner, established this fund as a surprise gift to him. A long-time member of the Hotchkiss Board of Trustees, Mr. Frank served as chairman of the board in 2001-2002.
Income from the Frederick Frank ’50 Library Fund is used for general library acquisitions.
The Friends of the Library Fund was established in 1985 in memory of Sheldon R. Luce, Class of 1929, by his family and friends. It has been augmented since that time by additional unsolicited gifts to the library, many of them from non-alumni. The purpose of the fund is to support the work of the library, encourage cultural programs to be shared with members of the community, and support library acquisitions at the discretion of the library’s director.
The nucleus of the Milmine Fund was the Hotchkiss Book Fund, which Mr. Milmine himself established many years ago. That fund was used to purchase multiple copies of books for the library for class reserve readings. George P. Milmine served the School as a master in history and mathematics and as assistant headmaster, from 1928 to 1965. Family, friends, and alumni established the present George P. Milmine Memorial Fund for History in Mr. Milmine's memory in 1982. Proceeds of the endowment are used to purchase materials in the field of medieval history.
The Stanley Fund was established in 1963 by Louise Todd Stanley in memory of her husband Harold, of Morgan Stanley & Co. Mrs. Stanley took close interest in the early development of the collection of books purchased from the Stanley Fund, which was to be devoted to sports and recreation. Some of Mr. Stanley's private library was also added to the original collection. Income from the fund continues to be used to purchase materials on sports and recreation.
This fund was established in 2003, in memory of Richard M. Morse, Class of 1939, by his son, Richard A. Morse. Income from the fund is used to purchase materials in the area of Hispanic and Latin American studies.
Materials on drama and the dramatic arts, especially relating to technical aspects of theater, are purchased through the Hugh Paul McKee '80 Memorial Fund established at the time of his death on November 2, 1980, by his family, friends, and admirers who wished to express their affection for him and to pay tribute to his enthusiasm for Hotchkiss.
Jean Rohrbach Olsen retired in 1981. More than 250 people contributed the money which formed the nucleus of the Jean R. Olsen Collection on Women's Studies in recognition of Jean's many contributions to Hotchkiss and to the education of young women and men. Income from the fund is used to purchase materials in the area of women's studies.
To honor his wife, Katherine Gross, Peter Thorne '73 established this fund by a gift to the School in 1995. Materials are to be purchased at the discretion of the director of the library, with special attention to the area of community service.
Lester Dorman Brown was a Master in Greek at The Hotchkiss School from 1907 until his retirement in 1940. Income from the fund established in his memory is used to purchase materials in the field of Classics.
Established in 2003 by Matthew Torrey, Class of 84, with the support of alumni and friends, the fund provides resources to enhance awareness and understanding of lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender, and queer matters.
A 1982 gift from Mr. Sudler, member of the Hotchkiss Class of 1921 and long-time chairman of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, was used to endow this fund. Fund income is used to acquire recordings of classical music, particularly choral music. Mr. Sudler died in 1992.
This fund was established in 2005 by Dwyer P. Brown ’85 and Nancy Reynolds ’85 to support the music collection of the library. Income from the fund is used to acquire materials for the Ford Library collections in support of the music curriculum, as well as materials which appeal to the broader interests of students and faculty in all areas of music.
This fund was established by Richard L. Hatch ’37 in 1985 to honor his late parents, Harold A. and Margaret Milliken Hatch. Interest generated by this fund is used to acquire resources dealing with American history and international relations.
Peter John Whitmore was an instructor in French and English at the School from 1954 to 1962. Friends and family members established this fund honoring Mr. Whitmore at the time of his death in 1962. Income from the fund is used to purchase books on French literature and history, as well as biography.
In 1985, gifts given in memory of Potter Stewart, Class of 1933 and Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, helped to establish the Potter Stewart '33 Library Endowment. Income from the fund is used to buy library materials relating to Constitutional law, the Supreme Court, and legal history.
The Royce Library Fund for Science was given by Robert and Elizabeth Royce for the purchase of library materials in the sciences. Mr. Royce taught physics and astronomy from 1955-1965, led the Woods Squad, and served as business manager until 1991 and as assistant to the headmaster for financial affairs until his retirement in 1996.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert J. Silver and Mr. William Kadin established this fund in 1981 in memory of Mrs. Silver's mother, Ruth Kadin, grandmother of John Kadin Silver ’81. Income from the fund is used to support the library's history and literature holdings.
This fund was established in 1993 by a bequest from Mr. Stearns, history instructor at Hotchkiss from 1944 to 1970. Income from the fund is used to supplement the history collection, with special focus in the areas of military and European history.
Victor von Schlegell '40, endowed this fund in 1984. Income from the fund is used to buy books in the sciences, but may also be used for other purchases at the discretion of the director of the Library.
This fund was established by a bequest from Walter Hull Buell, master in French and German from 1899 to 1923 and headmaster from 1924 to 1926, in honor of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Walter H. Buell. The fund is used for general library endowment, special purchases, and special projects. The fund began to benefit the library directly in 1987, although it had existed since 1951.
Established in 1997, this fund honors Mr. Parke, Class of 1919, and his love for books and deep fondness for The Hotchkiss School. Income from the fund is used to purchase books about reading and travel, as well as to underwrite programs to stimulate a love of reading and to introduce the art of book collecting to Hotchkiss students.