How to Apply
Required Steps and Materials Checklist
- 1. Tell Us About You: Complete an Admission Inquiry Form
- 2. Special Interests Forms (Optional)
- 3. Visit the Campus and Arrange an Interview
- 4. Take a Standardized Test
- 5. Complete the Application
- Required Materials
- Optional Tasks
- Optional: Supplemental Materials for Arts and Sports Interests
- Learn About Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid
If you're interested in playing a sport at Hotchkiss or in studying the visual or performing, arts please also fill out the optional forms available below.
We would like to meet you!
Before you schedule your visit with us it is important to complete your Admission Inquiry From first (see the link above).
Campus tours are available throughout the fall and into January. Visits and interviews are optional when applying, but recommended. Please note: there are no tours or interviews during our Thanksgiving or Winter Breaks.
We strongly recommend that applicants complete required testing in the fall, preferably in November or December. Because test dates and locations are posted well in advance, we advise applicants to arrange for testing early in the process.
Applicants who take January exams will still be considered during the regular admission cycle, but only once test scores are received.
Your Hotchkiss application helps us get to know you and evaluate how you might fit with the School. Hotchkiss uses “Gateway to Prep Schools," an online common application that consists of these main sections:
- Candidate Profile (basic information about where you live, family)
- Candidate Project (formal application, essay questions, activities)
- Parent Statement
- School Record
- Teacher Recommendations
||January 15, 2020
|Financial Aid Application deadline
||January 15, 2020
|Admission decisions available online and mailed
||March 10, 2020
|Revisit day for newly admitted students and families
||March 27 and 30, April 3, 2020
|Student reply deadline
||April 10, 2020
Other Dates to Know
- Tours and interviews are available from mid-September through mid-January.
Please note: there are no tours or interviews during our Thanksgiving or Winter Breaks.
- Online Application “Gateway to Prep Schools” Candidate Profile (Please submit as soon as possible, preferably before your interview.)
- Application fee is $70.
- To request an application fee waiver, contact our office at 860-435-3102 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candidate Project
- Parent Statement
- Standardized Testing (SSAT, ISEE, SAT, ACT, TOEFL)
- Principal/Counselor Recommendation Form
(sent directly by your school)
- Transcript Report Form (official transcript)/report card copies (must contain current and past grades and be sent directly by your school)*
- English and Math Recommendation Forms (to be sent directly by your teachers)
- Personal Recommendation Form (written by an adult who knows you well)
- The Graded Writing Sample (only required for those applying for entry grades 11, 12 and Postgraduate)*
- Follow this link to a printable PDF of the recommendation forms and application.
*Please know that when submitting graded writing samples and/or transcripts via Gateway, the upload file must be under 1 MB. Also, the system will only take one file upload per form. If your recommenders are having issues with uploads, please have them fax the documents to: 860-435-0042, or scan/email the documents to email@example.com.
Supplemental materials help us understand your interests and abilities, especially in the arts and sports.
For dance, photography, film, music, theatre, and visual arts submissions, please upload portfolio materials to hotchkiss.slideroom.com.
Athletic video submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.