Boys Hockey Battles Choate to 2-2 Tie

by Roger Wistar

Choate scored two third-period goals to rally for a 2-2 draw with the boys varsity hockey team on Jan. 31.

For the Bearcats (3-11-3), it was a game of contrasts. Despite being beaten in both shots on goal and face-offs, the home team managed to score a goal at the bitter end of each of the first two periods to carry a 2-0 lead into the third. But the Wild Boars turned up the pressure again and scored twice midway through the final period to force a scoreless overtime.

Hauken Washington '18 scored both goals for Hotchkiss, and nearly had a hat trick with several other excellent chances, leading all Bearcats with six shots on goal. Gavin Puskar '20 would tie Washington with six shots, and defenseman Nick Traggio '20 added four more.

The forward line of Washington, Puskar, and center Eric Ehrensperger '19 provided much of the fireworks on the day for Hotchkiss. Despite recording only one shot, Ehrensberger managed to win nearly 70% of his face-offs.

Goalie Henry Wilder stood tall under a steady barrage of Choate shots, including 24 in the first two periods. He would finish the day with 34 total saves, including four in overtime.

The scoring began for Hotchkiss with just under a minute in the first period. After a penalty on both teams, Ehrensberger and Washington led a two-man breakaway, and Ehrensberger's shot rebounded to Washington, who slotted it home for a 1-0 lead.

The second period offered more of the same, with Choate controlling the majority of the possession. Hotchkiss proved once again to be the more opportunistic team, however, and Washington banged home another shot in a scrum in front of the net to make it 2-0. Traggio earned an assist on the play.

After Choate tied the game, the two teams played a wild overtime with excellent chances both ways. As with the earlier periods, Choate seemed to have better chances at the beginning of the extra time, but Hotchkiss rallied back. The final thirty seconds saw the Bearcats fire several shots on net, including a point-blank effort by Puskar as the horn sounded.

The Bearcats are now undefeated in their last three games, and will travel to Lawrenceville for a 5:00 p.m. game on Friday Feb. 2.

More Athletics News