Girls Hockey Rallies to Tie Williston

by Roger Wistar

Clutch goaltending and some late-game heroics allowed the girls varsity hockey team to pull out an improbable 3-3 tie with visiting Williston on Jan. 27.

Despite being outshot by nearly a four-to-one ratio, the Bearcats (3-8-3) responded to a two-goal deficit with a furious rally in the third period, ultimately knotting the game up with less than two minutes to play.

A wild five minutes of overtime with seemingly breakaway after breakaway for each team ensued, but neither team was able to push the puck across the goal line for the win.

Scoring for Hotchkiss were Addy Shannon '18, Stephanie O'Brien '18, and Zoe Wilson '19, with assists from Jelani Adorno '18 and Gracyn Campbell '18.

Lindsay Reed '18 stood tall in the net, saving more than 40 shots on the day. At times she was required to get low too, including one remarkable sequence where she dove on the ice to stop one shot and then made another sprawling deflection before regaining her feet.

The first period saw the Wildcats come out and dominate possession, ultimately resulting in a goal midway through the period off of a breakaway in front of Reed. But Shannon responded five minutes later, poking the puck through after a scrum in front of the net to tie the game at 1-1 heading into the first intermission.

The second period would also belong solidly with the visitors, as they peppered Reed with shot after shot. The Wildcats finally broke through to retake the lead late in the period, passing the puck from behind the net to a player in the slot, who fired it past Reed for the 2-1 advantage.

Just two minutes into the final period, another Williston goal gave the team a 3-1 lead that might have seemed unsurmountable at the time. But the Bearcats would not go quietly, and O'Brien cut the lead in half at 9:50 with another goal in traffic in front of the net.

Despite Williston using their timeout with almost seven minutes left to play, Hotchkiss seemed to gain momentum steadily as the clock wound down. The final period would see the two teams even in shots on goal at 5-5.

Finally, Wilson capped a day of stellar defense with the team's third goal. Forcing a turnover in the neutral zone, Wilson raced down and forced it into the net with a few tries to tie the game at 3-3 and send the home fans into a frenzy.

More Athletics News