For New Students
Open up; look around; take it in; make it yours.
The Hotchkiss experience is all about discovery — a process that can be transformative, exhilarating, and sometimes challenging. Here’s what current students, faculty, and staff have to say about how to meet those challenges and make the most of your time at Hotchkiss.
Getting Ready for Hotchkiss
Newly accepted students should keep track of important forms and deadlines using the New Student Checklist. Be sure to keep on top of important tasks. In addition to required placement tests, transcripts and forms, all new students also have a chance to tell us about themselves to help inform decisions about roommate and academic advisor assignments.
- Don't be afraid to ask for help. Everyone here wants to see you succeed.
- Learn to manage your time. It will help you be more organized and make life a little less stressful.
- Don't be afraid to try new activities.
- Take advantage of our location. Join the Outing Club, take a walk in the woods, spend a day at Fairfield Farm, take a dip in the lake, or study outside. The fresh air is good for you.
- Everybody is in the same boat! (Scared, excited, overwhelmed, confused, curious, etc.)
- Make your bed every morning. Seriously. (Unless you wake up five minutes before your first class). It can make or break your day.
- When doing your laundry, do NOT accidentally put a red shirt inside of an all-white load.
- Break one big task into several steps and take them one by one. Then, relax and enjoy the work.
- Concentrate on what you love and do that well.
- If you’re feeling hurt, lonely, or overwhelmed, don’t hesitate to ask for help.
- The person next to you (in class, on stage, on the athletic fields) could be your best friend for life.
- Enjoy the beauty of the campus and its natural surroundings.
- Try something new.
- Play your heart out.
- Open up; look around; take it in; make it yours.
- Leave your cell phone in your room once in awhile.