Guide for New Families
The start of school will be here before we know it! To ensure that you are prepared, outlined below are all the necessary steps you need to complete as a part of registration process.
You can also download the Guide for New Families for helpful reference.
- Immediate Task: Activate Your Parent Portal Password
- Due May 15: Academic Advisor and Rooming Preferences Form
- Due June 1: Parent/Student Information Form
- Due June 1: Photo for Names & Faces Student Directory and Student Debit/ID Card
- Due June 1: Parent Directory Consent Form
- Due July 15: Mandatory Medical Forms
- August 1: Establish Your Student Debit Card (One Card)
- Due August 1: Tuition Payments
- Due August 15: Deposit Funds Into Your Child's One Card Account
- Hotchkiss Email and Network Account
You will need to establish a password of your choosing in order to access password-protected pages of the Parent Portal. To do so, please follow these easy instructions:
- Go to www.hotchkiss.org/login
- Click on "forgot username or password"
- Enter your username. It is your email address (the one on file with Hotchkiss); hit submit; the screen should indicate you have been sent an email with further instructions.
- Open up your email titled "Hotchkiss School - Portal Login." Click on the "reset password" link provided.
- Enter your username (your email address) and select a password of your choosing. Please note it needs to be at least 8 characters in length.
- Next you will be asked to log in using your username and newly selected password.
- Once you are successfully logged in, you will be returned to the Parent Portal landing page. To return to this registration page, click on the item titled, "For New Students and Families," located just beneath the six icons on the Parent Portal page. Here you will find a link which will return you to this page so you can continue the registration process. Congratulations!
Please note: If you are enrolling a new student in 2019-20 but are also the parent/guardian to a currently enrolled student, you do not need to update/activate your password.
You will receive information about your student debit card, your student's ID, and PIN code in the mail. You can deposit funds starting August 1.
Contact Nancy Hiller with questions at (860) 435- 3165.
In mid to late July, Information Technology Services (ITS) will send your student a username, password, and instructions on how to access their Hotchkiss email account. Students must use the temporary password to reset their passwords and should log in right away in order to use Hotchkiss email over the summer. Students are required to know their usernames and passwords when they arrive on campus.
- Due June 1: Course Selection for 2019-20 Academic Year
- Due June 1: Language Placement Exam
- Due June 1: Math Placement Exam
- Due July 15: Final Official Transcript
- Starting August 1: Order Required Textbooks
- Required Summer Reading -- NOW POSTED!
- Academic Accommodations and Study Skills Support
Students need to complete the online course selection form with their parents by June 1. To make selections, log into the "My Student Information" page of the Parent Portal, click on your child's name, then click "Course Enrollment Form." Math and language courses will be determined after the students take placement tests. Access the 2019-20 online course catalog here.
Note: You will not be considered registered for courses until your final transcript, due July 15, has been received.
Should you have questions, please contact Registrar Heather Mechare at (860) 435-3186.
New students must take the classical and modern language placement exam, unless starting at the first-year level of a language offered at Hotchkiss. Access the language placement text exams using the student email address provided to Hotchkiss and the password: Bearcat1 (case sensitive). The test must be completed by June 1.
Access instructions for the Hotchkiss online math placement test and required math forms. Login information for the exam was sent directly to new students using the email address we have on file. The test must be completed no later than June 1. Please note access will be restricted after that date.
Students must complete the placement test on their own so an appropriate course entry level can be determined. Calculators and other electronic aids may not be used.
Your child's final official transcript must be sent to Hotchkiss by July 15 in order to be registered for courses in 2019-20.
The official transcript must have a raised seal or school stamp.
Please send it to:
The Admissions Office
The Hotchkiss School
11 Interlaken Road
Lakeville, CT 06039
or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Online store opens August 1
New and used textbooks are available through our bookseller, Higher Learning Supply Company (HLSC). In early August, course enrollment will be posted on the Parent Portal. To order books:
• Choose the Department (subject), then choose the Course
• Select your books. Choose new or used (subject to availability) and “Add to Cart”
• At checkout, you will choose “In Store Pickup.”
• Enter your appropriate billing information.
• You must enter the student’s name and the school’s address in the
ship-to address field:
Student’s Name (First and Last Name)
The Hotchkiss School
11 Interlaken Rd
Lakeville, CT 06039
HLSC provides a book buyback program at the end of the year for select titles. Books must be in reasonably good condition – no excessive writing or highlighting.
Click here to access the titles of the 2019 required summer reading. These books must be completed before the start of the school year. Note there is an All-School read as well as a assignment by class year.
Please be certain to bring these books with you to School in the fall.
The Class of 1964 Teaching and Learning Center houses the Study Skills program which offers assistance with organization, time management, and content specific support in math, science, reading, and writing. If your child would benefit from additional study skills support, please be in touch. If your child requires accommodations due to a disability, please forward documentation to Study Skills Coordinator Jane Herold.
Contact Jane Herold at (860) 435-3206 for more information.
Important Dates to Remember
August 30, 2019: All new students arrive at Hotchkiss between 10:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.; Student orientation begins in the afternoon.
October 11-12, 2019: Family Weekend; Please note there is an optional Thursday, October 10 evening social gathering (no formal programming).
We are pleased to offer a series of topic-specific, interactive webcasts for new parents in the coming months. They are designed to provide you with helpful information as you and your student prepare for school in September.
Please note you will be required to register on livestream.com in order to submit questions during the webcast. Follow the instructions below:
1. Visit www.livestream.com
2. In the upper right, you will see "Log in." Click that button.
3. A window will pop up to log in, please click "Join Livestream"
4. You will then be prompted to enter your email address to complete your registration.
Recordings of these webcasts will be posted after each event.
May 17 at 2 p.m.: Academics and Selecting Courses
June 12 at 12:30 p.m.: Getting Ready to Come to Hotchkiss
June 14 at 8:30 a.m.: Parenting from a Distance: A Webcast for International Families (Click here to download the Power Point presentation used in this webinar)
Early September: Your Student's First Weeks at Hotchkiss
- 2019-20 Academic Calendar
- The Almanac (Hotchkiss's Policies, Procedures, and Regulations)
- How to Ship Things to Hotchkiss
- Laundry Facilities and Services
- Private Music Lessons
- Local Banking for Hotchkiss Students
- Transportation Information
- Chaplain Form
Access the Almanac. It is the School's most important publication to read before coming to campus in the fall. It outlines Hotchkiss's community regulations, important school rules, and policies.
The 2019-20 edition will be published in August.
If you are shipping items or supplies to campus, please do not send packages until August 20. (We accept packages sent via all common carriers--e.g., U.S. mail, UPS, FedEx, DHL.)
Please send mail and packages to students (using their legal name if possible) at this address:
Student's Name (first and last)
The Hotchkiss School
11 Interlaken Road
Lakeville, CT 06039
Any shipped parcel or package will be available for student pick-up at the Hotchkiss Post Office during Orientation. Please note the School does not deliver packages directly to the dorm room.
Special Offer: Would you like to have your student's boxes delivered directly to his/her dorm room? Use the Hartford UPS Store and have items delivered to your student's dorm room before Orientation. Click here for information from the UPS Store.
Please note there is a fee for this privately arranged service.
There are laundry machines in the basements of Buehler, Dana, Edelman, Flinn, Garland, Memorial, Tinker, Watson, and Wieler dorms. The use of machines by students is free of charge, but students need to provide their own laundry supplies (soap, dryer sheets, etc.).
An optional laundry and dry cleaning service, E&R (the Campus Laundry), is located in the basement of Tinker Hall. Check out www.TheCampusLaundry.com for further information. Please note there is a fee for this privately arranged service.
Representative from Salisbury Bank and Trust will be on campus Friday, August 30, 10 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. to meet students and families and answer questions.
Download W-8BEN form (required for foreign students only).
The School schedules bus shuttle transportation to various airports, as well as the Metro-North train station in Wassaic (for travel to and from Grand Central Station in New York City), during breaks; availability may depend on demand. Additional information is also available, including a list of local car services.