Hotchkiss is a member of a consortium of schools that have partnered with the University of Pennsylvania to form the Boarding School Teaching Residency (BSTR) program. Designed for exceptional new and early career teachers, the BSTR program is a two-year commitment after which Teaching Fellows will have gained invaluable teaching experience at Hotchkiss and earned an M.S.Ed. from the University of Pennsylvania. The BSTR program runs concurrently with two years of residential teaching at Hotchkiss and involves a week of work at Penn in each of two summers, online work with the entire cohort of 20-25 teaching fellows from the member schools, one weekend a term studying with University of Pennsylvania faculty members at one of the partner schools, and coursework with a mentor at Hotchkiss as well as the regular residential teaching duties expected of all faculty members. If a candidate is offered a BSTR teaching fellowship position and accepts that offer, he or she must apply for acceptance into the University of Pennsylvania’s Graduate School of Education with the support of the hiring boarding school.
A Teaching Fellow’s responsibilities include teaching two to three classes in their academic discipline. One of these classes is co-taught with a mentor teacher, and the Teaching Fellow works with their academic department and mentor to develop and refine curricula, assessments, and pedagogy at the departmental level. Teaching fellows participate in all aspects of community life through service in our residential, advising and co-curricular programs.
A bachelor’s degree in the target discipline (or a closely related subject) is required. Experience as a tutor, teaching assistant, or student teacher is desirable, but not necessary. Hotchkiss typically hires 2 - 3 Teaching Fellows for each two-year cycle. Positions within specific academic departments are dictated by need and quality of the applicants.
To view current career opportunities and apply for specific positions, follow the link below and then click on the position title link.
Please provide the requested information through the registration process by either clicking on the position title link or by signing in and creating a profile. You must register to apply for open positions.
Hotchkiss faculty members enjoy many benefits:
- Competitive compensation
- Updated housing and basic utilities provided (full-time faculty)
- Three options of medical coverage are offered through Aetna; vision and dental care are offered as well.
- Generous retirement benefits include participation in TIAA-CREF and School-matched contributions.
- Substantial professional development is available as it relates to a faculty position and the needs of the School in support of advance degree work and participation in professional conferences, workshops, summer study, and sabbaticals.
- Travel program opportunities with students around the world and the country
- Campus opportunities for intellectual engagement, such as speakers, faculty symposia, colloquia, and visiting scholars and artists
- Edsel Ford Memorial Library and numerous other scholarly resources
- Arts happenings, including shows in the Tremaine Art Gallery and performances in the Katherine M. Elfers Hall and Walker Auditorium
- Athletic facilities, including the state-of-the-art Mars Athletic Center (including fitness rooms, squash courts, indoor pool, ice rinks), outdoor track, playing fields, golf course, and tennis courts
- Faculty families can enjoy daily meals in the dining hall during the school year, with vegetarian and gluten-free options, daily soups, salad and sandwich bars. Dining hall offerings reflect the School’s commitment to sustainable food practices and healthy living.
- Faculty and staff members who qualify can receive tuition remission or portable tuition for their children's secondary school education at Hotchkiss or a similar institution.
- Family access to community resources and athletic facilities
- Pre-school childcare is offered at the Cynthia White Childcare Center (pending space availability).
- A range of wellness programs, including exercise classes like yoga, spin, and pilates; community meals and gatherings; and special offers.
- Natural surroundings, including Beeslick Woods and hiking trails, Lake Wononscopomuc and water activities, and Hotchkiss Beach