Information Technology Services | FAQs
- How long can I keep my school-issued computer?
- Do I own my school-issued computer?
- Can I take my school-issued computer off campus?
- Can I install software on my school-issued computer?
- Can I keep my school-issued computer once I graduate?
- Does my school-issued computer back up automatically?
- Can I upgrade to a different model?
- What if my school-issued computer gets damaged?
- What if my school-issued computer gets lost or stolen?
Yes, you may keep the computer at all times during the school year and during holidays. However, ITS may collect laptops at times for maintenance and upgrades as deemed necessary by the School. The same computer will be re-issued to you again. You will have the same computer throughout your time at Hotchkiss, so please take care of it.
Yes, you may install applications on your computer. You must properly license any applications before installing, and they must be fully compliant with the Hotchkiss Acceptable Use Policy. However, you may not install a new operating system on your computer. You may install a new version of your existing operating system, with the understanding that it might cause problems with other programs on your computer. It may also result in your computer having to be reimaged.
Any student who uses his/her computer for at least four years at Hotchkiss will become the owner of that computer upon graduation. Students who have their computers for three years will have the option to purchase them at a discounted price. Arrangements must be made in advance of graduation. Some software will need to be removed due to licensing considerations. One- and two-year students will not have the option to purchase their computers upon graduation, and must return them before leaving campus. Students who leave Hotchkiss without graduating must return their computers.
No. You are solely responsible for backing up your data, such as pictures, music, video, and important School documents to your Google drive. You might also consider purchasing an external hard drive to back up your data. If you do not back up your computer, your files may be lost due to hardware malfunction. In some cases, ITS may need to take action that results in data loss.
Treat your school-issued computer with care in order to avoid damage. Should damage occur, immediately report it to the IT Service Desk. You will be held responsible for the cost of repair for damage not covered by Apple’s warranty. You are not permitted to continue to use a damaged computer without reporting it, and you will not be able to choose which repairs are to be done. The protective clear plastic case should be left on your computer at all times. If this case is damaged, it will be replaced for you at no cost.
Take great care to protect your school-issued computer from loss or theft. Do not leave it unattended in public areas, even on the Hotchkiss campus. Never place it in checked baggage when you travel. Contact ITS immediately if you suspect that your computer has been lost or stolen. If your computer is lost or stolen, you will be held responsible for the costs of replacement.
For Mac Users
First Time Users:
If you haven't already, remove ALL currently installed printers (including any personal printers). The download and install process will follow the same steps as outlined below for printer installations. If you do not follow this process, you may end up with duplicate printers (the one you had that no longer works as well as the new printer you are installing now).
1. Make sure you follow the "First Time Users" instructions above if you are one. Printers are broken into categories in the left navigational area. Select a location, and click on the desired printer for install.
2. Once you click on a printer for installation, it will download onto your computer. If you are using Mac OS Lion, the download may not appear and you may need to take the additional step of clicking the download button to get the download screen to appear.
3. Double-click on the printer in the download window to install it. It should be labeled by name in the download list.
4. Once you double-click on the printer, you will need to authorize the installation by clicking "Open." You now have access to the printer.
For PC Users
- Select “Start” from the Windows bar.
- Choose “Settings” form the drop-down menu.
- Choose “Printers and Faxes” from the next drop-down menu.
- In the upper-left-hand side of the “Printers and Faxes” window, choose “Add a printer”.
- Press “Next” in the “Add Printer Wizard” window.
- Select the radio button next to “A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer”
- Press “Next."
- Select the radio button next to “Find a printer in the directory."
- Press “Next."
- In the “Find Printers” window, click on “Find Now."
- Scroll through the listing that appears and choose the printer you want, then click “OK."
- If you want this to be your new default printer, check “Yes,” then click on “Next."
- Click “Finish."
- How do I connect my computer to a classroom projector?
- How do I connect to a classroom audio system?
- How do I connect to a SMART board?
- Does ITS offer support for multimedia presentations?
First, you need to have the Epson projector software installed. Faculty already have this installed on their Macs. Windows users can download and install it at http://web.hotchkiss.org/files. The installation file is in the /projector directory.
- Turn on your computer and connect to the network.
- Turn on the Epson projector using the remote. You will hear a beep and the light on the projector will turn green.
- After the projector warms up and there is either an image on the screen or a blue screen, press “Easy MP” on the projector's remote
- Go to the Windows “Start” menu, then “All Programs,” then “EPSON Projector." Double-click on “EMP NS Connection V2” and start the application. (Mac users should go to Spotlight and type in “EMP," then click on “EMP NS Connection” to start the program.)
- The program will present you with a screen that has two options: “Quick Connection Mode” and “Advanced Connection Mode.” If necessary, put a check by “Advanced Connection Mode,” then click on “set the selected connection as the default” and click on “OK.” (The Mac version will not ask for “Quick” or “Advanced” options.)
- The next screen will allow you to select the appropriate projector for your session. Projector names are easily identifiable (e.g., “PROJ-HIST-402"). Only projectors that are turned on will appear on this list. Put a check mark next to the projector you want, then click on “Connect.” If you want to be sure that no one can “take” the projector from you, also put a check mark next to “Disable Interrupt Connect.”
- You are now connected to the projector.
- Connect your computer to the sound system by taking an audio cable and inserting it into the headphone jack of your computer. Then, put the other end into the input jack labeled “Audio” on the faceplate.
- You control the volume by using the control on your laptop in conjunction with the volume control above the faceplate on the wall. If either of them is turned completely off, the audio will not work.
First, you need to have the SMART Board software installed. If you do not have it on your computer already, you can download and install it at http://web.hotchkiss.org/files. The installation file is in the /SMARTboard directory.
- Make sure you have completed all the instructions above.
- Make sure the SMART board is connected to an electrical outlet.
- Insert the Bluetooth USB transceiver into any available USB port on your computer.
- The light on top of the USB transceiver will flash red a couple of times and then turn green.
- The light on the bottom right of the SMART board will change from red to a steady green.
- You are now ready to use the SMART board.
Yes, ITS offers technical support for multimedia presentation setup.
1. Submit a help ticket at least two weeks in advance.
2. Include all information about the event, such as location, time, and the arrival time of the presenter for equipment testing. Be sure to include the following details:
Mac or Pc?
Internet access required?
Video adapter needed?
1. Make sure you are connected to the Internet by opening a browser and typing in a valid address.
2. Look for the VPN icon on the toolbar at the top of the screen and click on it. (If you don’t see this icon, go to System Preferences and click on the “network” icon. Look for “VPN (Cisco IPSec)." Single-click on it and put an X in the box that says “Show VPN status in menu bar.” Go to Finder, and the icon above will be displayed. Click on the icon to start the VPN. If you still can't connect, go to step 3.
3. Go to Spotlight and type in “VPN."
4. Click on the VPNclient listed in the drop-down menu.
5. Enter your username and password in the prompts.
6. You are now connected to the Hotchkiss network.
7. If none of this works, you do not have the VPN client on your computer. To install the client, continue on with the instructions.
8. Open a browser and go to http://web.hotchkiss.org/files.
9. Enter your credentials, click on VPN, click on Mac, and double-click on VPNFor Mac.dmg.
10. Download the file and install it on your Mac.
11. Go back and start at step 1.
1. Open a web browser.
2. Type “http://web.hotchkiss.org/files” into the address bar.
3. Enter your credentials.
4. Click on the VPN link.
5. Click on either the Windows 32 bit or Windows 64 bit, depending on your version of Windows. (If you’re unsure, use the 32 bit version.)
6. Click on the hotchkissVPNx32.exe or the hotchkissVPNx64.exe link.
7. Click “Save” in the File Download dialog box.
8. Click "Run" in the Download Complete dialog box
9. Click "OK" on the WinZip dialog box.
Connecting via the VPN
1. Log on.
2. Go to Start.
3. Click on All Programs.
4. Click on “Cisco Systems VPN Client” and select VPN Client. The Client will start and you will see a white screen with a tool bar at the top.
5. Click on the Connect button on the top left-hand side of the screen.
6. Enter your user name and password in the corresponding fields. Enter “hotchkiss” in the Domain field if it’s not already there. The screen will disappear once you are connected, and you will see a small gold lock in the information tray at the bottom right hand side of the screen.
Disconnecting the VPN
Right-click on the small gold lock icon in the information tray at the bottom right-hand side of the screen and choose "Disconnect."